Bringing you the best of Second Life since 2008.

Emerald Viewer 1.23.4.904

I've been using the Greenlife Emerald Viewer for a few weeks now and for the most part love it. A new build was released a couple of nights ago, and since documentation is often hazzy, I thought I would mention a few new features. A few may simply be newly discovered features, but others are indeed something for Emerald users to look forward to. Some I have discovered myself and some I gleened from the Emerald blog.


Saving Avatar Name on login screen. Add a check in the box and the viewer will save the names of all avatars using that computer. Very handy in a shared computer setting. I've had to remember to use the drop down list (in this case drop "up" is more correct). Typing in your name often gives a wrong password type message.

IM Notifications: By far my favorite new feature, the IM button now tells you how many new IMs have been received. Since I often completely disreguard IMs when in photography mode, it is a very handy new feature for me.

Radar is now next to the Fly button so you don't need to go to Emerald > Avatar list to see who is around.


On the not so good side:

The very popular distance slider has been removed from the toolbar - boo hiss. Maybe some technical issue was the cause as I know a lot of folks liked that.

Edit: This has been replaced with a small unnamed button :D which I found a day later. There are actually MORE things you can slide now rather than less. Yeah!


Derender has apparently moved in the right click pie chart. I hadn't noticed that before so it was new to me. Testing shows that a derendered object disappears but is actually still there when you log back on. I didn't test to see if it disappears to other avatars or just to the one derendering the object. You can apparently derender other people's objects. To be fixed.

Inspect no longer works on objects not worn. This is SO unhandy as I use that feature a lot reporting problems. This was NOT handy when I found a 50 meter sky dome hovering over my land yesterday. To be fixed.

Windlight skies has a ton (I mean a TON) of other people's settings. So many I can't find mine. So if you have culled your Windlight settings and are happy with them you might want to make a backup copy of the file and put it in a different directory BEFORE installing the new version. I'll be spending a couple of hours testing and deleting all those skies but not today.


I get a "can't find notecard" message with logging in and a nasty Windows error bar with that clank sound when logging out. The log out message is most likely a conflict and may only happen when certain programs are also running. I haven't watched well enough to comment on that for sure.

The missing notecard message appears to have something to do with the Animation Overrider listing under Emerald. Clicking on that brings up a a window where you can drop in a notecard; other options appear there too. Note sure if this is a new feature.

Edit: The (yes new) integrated AO works beautifully and updates well. I will do a separate post on that soon for documentation purposes. It takes a bit of work, but hopefully I can help you along with that.


As a side note, I used the temporary texture feature for the first time recently and loved it. While I new it was in the viewer, like many Greenlife features, documentation was difficult to find. There is a check box in the final upload screen. While reports said the textures would disappear when you TPed to another sim. That no longer occurs. Also, others can see the texture on a prim. Textures cannot be put INTO a prim however.


That's my morning news. I hope it is helpful to some of you.

Comments

Ana Lutetia said…
Usually, when I do a clean install of a SL viewer, all I have to do is copy/paste my WindLight folder. It never deletes your prior presets; it only adds presets.
Ana Lutetia said…
BTW, what's big about this release is the jiggling boobs and the AO embed in the viewer and that's why you get the [8:46] Could not read the specified Config Notecard
Chic Aeon said…
HMMM. Jiggly boobs huh? Mine wouldn't jiggle in any world :D I figured it had to be the new AO and the fact I hadn't configured. It is so hard to get any info in Emerald though so there is always a trial and error thing.

And no, it didn't delete any but I really didn't want all the ones I had previously deleted BACK -- PLUS a ton of other ones that I didn't want. So now I know. It does remember "more" than the SL viewer used to so that is nice.

Thanks for your comments. It looks like my icons have changed and so I'm going to try being ME. If I get that nasty "Life is Pain" icon that came with this template and I can't change -- sorry. Life is good.
Chic Aeon said…
WOOT it's fixed. TY Blogger!
Ana Lutetia said…
The jiggly boobs have nothing to do with the AO. They are two different features. In the project website, you'll find the release notes for the viewers.

Anywho, I've found myself a new viewer where I don't crash every 5min like in Emerald.
Anonymous said…
Chic Here --

Never thought the boobs had anything to do with the AO (use the AO but not the boob setting :D), but I'm glad your new viewer works better for you. I have seldom crashed with any viewer of late, but know that there are often issues depending on the system and other software installed.

Popular Posts